In this post we will walk you through the steps you need to take to get and assign Beacons to Rooms. Note that as of now, only Estimote iBeacons are supported.
- Start by ordering your beacons directly from Estimote (www.estimote.com). Order standard beacons (not ‘stickers’). Depending on the size of the room you want to put the beacon in and where in the room you can put it, you may need more than one beacon. The maximum range of the beacon can be found on Estimote’s web site, but is something like 80 yards / 70 meters. NB – make sure you use a real email address that you have access to when ordering. The email becomes you Estimote user name – and you will need it.
When you receive your beacons, you need to create an Estimote account using the same email address you used when ordering.
Once you have the beacons in hand and an account set up with Estimote, the beacons must be transferred to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Log into your Estimote Account at cloud.estimote.com
- Check the beacons you want to transfer.
- Make sure all of them have the Estimote default UUID (B9407F30-F5F8-466E-AFF9-25556B57FE6D)
- Click Transfer at the top of the screen
- Type the email address of the new owner – ‘email@example.com’. Be careful when typing (copying recommended) the email address. If you make a mistake and there by accident is someone registered with the email you did type, you need to ask them to re-assign the beacon to you (see ‘Have beacons, but can’t access them?‘ ) or get Estimote’s help. Unfortunately we cannot do it.
The beacons have now been transferred and can be used in the app. You still have to claim them though. You do this by pressing Room and either creating a new Room or editing an existing. If you make sure the beacon is no more than half a metre away from your phone, the ‘Add new beacon’ button will light up after a little while. Once lit up – press it to see the new beacon(s), then press ‘claim’ on the beacons. They are now put into the room.
You can later free the beacons up again. They remain your beacons and cannot be claimed by anyone else and you are free to assign them to a different room.